Monday, May 10, 2010

barbies....barbies...barbies

A few months ago I had had enough. Ladybug was out of control. I reprimanded her and she would cross her arms, make a face, and say something smart. I would ask her to do something and she would say "NO!" She would get sent to her room and she would slam doors. I was beginning to think I had a teenager and not a 5 year old. I felt desperate to have a change in the behavior. The more mad I got the more defiant she got.

But I could not control myself.

I lost it one day. I had reached my limit. But I needed something that made an impact. So I marched into the kitchen, grabbed a garbage bag, and handed it to Ladybug. She was clueless. I told her to take every single little piece of barbie toy and put it in the bag. She cried. But she did it. When it was done I explained the rules. I would store it in the closet. If she was good - she would earn a piece back. If she was bad - I would throw a piece away.

Later that afternoon we were getting in the car and she tested me. Really? You want to see if I am serious about throwing away the one toy that I never wanted you to have in the first place? I warned her. But she continued. So we stopped by the dumpster, I grabbed the one barbie in the car (the one that wears a necklace that when pressed she will sing ... annoying!) and tossed it in the dumpster. She freaked. I had a twinge of guilt but it passed. I thought she learned the lesson. She tested one more day and I threw away an accessory.

And then I promptly forgot about it. I have not thrown one thing away and I have not given her back any.

On a whim today I gave her back the whole garbage bag. I handed it to her. Told her she needed to find a place to put them when she was done playing with them. And then I got my first hour of peace since I took them away. She stayed in her room, closed the door, and played...until I called her out for something. And then she was loving and wonderful.

So Barbie.... thank you for bringing out the best in my girl. But don't my mother I said that.

Mean Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...