I usually have a ton of amusing (at least after the fact) stories after my vacation travel. I have one this time.
We were driving home. I had some how managed to not have to drive through a snow storm. I had managed to not have an accident. I had managed not to break a toe or end up in the emergency room. Things went well.
We stopped at Dunkin Donuts (how I miss my DD!) to get drinks and breakfast. I know this is not good for my diet. But it is a travel day.
Ladybug got a hot chocolate and a root beer (it was promising to be a 14 hour trip so 2 drinks was not much). She starts with the hot chocolate...it wouldn't stay hot for long.
After about an hour she asks if she can switch to the root beer. As I continue to drink we juggle the drinks. I throw my chai cup on the floor. I take her hot chocolate cup in my cup holder (because there is still liquid in it). And I slowly open the root beer. It hisses. It bubbles. It threatens to explode. But I open it slowly. Keep in mind that I am driving about 70 (okay maybe 75) miles per hour while doing this.
I hand the bottle back to Ladybug. I ask her to be careful. It is full and I do not want soda spilled on the floor. The car is packed from Christmas including games and toys stuffed under seats. It would be a nightmare to clean up after a spill like that.
Do you see what is coming?
After about 5 minutes of driving I hear a sound. It is a familiar sound. One I have heard recently. But it does not compute in my brain. Because it can't possibly be real. Right?
It is the hissing sound. You know, when a soda bottle has been shaken and it is exploding. In my car.
I look back. Ladybug is holding the bottle out in front of her. As far away from her body as possible. As the bottle spews root beer. All over my car. On her. On the toys and games. On the door. On the windows. On me.
Mama: Close the bottle.
Ladybug: I can't.
Mama: Yes you can. Close it.
Ladybug: I can't!
Mama: You have to.
Ladybug: Make it stop.
Mama: You have to do it! I am driving.
Ladybug: I can't!
Mama: DO IT!
She tightens the lid down. I take the next exit. Just over half the bottle has erupted like a volcano in my car.
Ladybug: Oh so that is what happens when you shake a soda bottle.
I had to cross my eyes and hold my breath to keep from freaking out on her.
Mean Mama
Random Life Events
2 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment