I have been torturing Ladybug this summer with math. It is not just for fun. Her final grades of 1st grade showed that she was struggling with math. They don't like giving letter grades so she didn't get an A, B, C or D. Instead they give a number grade. She could have earned a 1, 2, 3 or 4 -- with 4 being the best. She got a 2. I think that would put her at about a C-.
So I made the decision that she either needed to learn math this summer or she needed to prove to me that she already knew it. It helps to know you child. I know she is smart. I know she is more intuitive than a child her age should ever be. I also know she is not academically inclined. I believed she knew the math. I also believed she didn't want to do the math. So I bought a 1st grade math book and I have made her spend each afternoon for the last month doing math.
She fought it. She cried. She pouted. She refused. She yelled. I am apparently the meanest mother ever. As a matter fact she stated that no other mother would even think about giving her child homework during the summer vacation. She even stated that it was obvious that I didn't love her or I would not be torturing her like this. This is where I told her that if I didn't love her I would NOT make her do the homework. My undying intense love for her was the reason why she needed to do the math.
I figured I would let her do each chapter until she ran into a lesson she didn't know. Their were little tests at the end of each chapter. So I sat back and waited to hit a chapter that she struggled with. I never found that chapter.
She finished the 1st grade book today. She had 8 chapter tests, a midterm, and a final exam. Her scores?
Chapter 1: 16 or 17 questions correct on the first try.
Chapter 2: 40 of 42 questions correct on the first try.
Chapter 3: 42 of 42 questions correct on the first try.
Chapter 4: 48 of 48 questions correct on the first try.
Chapter 5: 39 of 41 questions correct on the first try.
Chapter 6: 20 of 22 questions correct on the first try.
Chapter 7: 19 of 19 questions correct on the first try.
Chapter 8: 20 of 20 questions correct on the first try.
Midterm: 131 of 136 questions correct on the first try.
Final: 112 of 117 questions correct on the first try.
I also bought the 2nd grade math book.
Mean Mama
Random Life Events
2 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment