Sunday, May 19, 2013

Doctor ... Part 2

Actually this is the first part.  But It seemed less important.

I have hypothyroidism.  But I have been unmedicated for some time now.  This is not a good thing.  But I ran out of the prescription and had no doctor. 

Like a good doctor she didn't just trust me.  She insisted on labs.  Not that thyroid medications are a drug that can really be abused (not sure who would want to) but labs are important.  The TSH level should be in the range of .5-3 (although some doctors will go all the way up to 6).  My TSH level was 28.89.  Now I know why I can't lose weight, I am exhausted, and I am depressed.

I asked that she prescribe levoxyl.  There are several thyroid meds but this is the one I like the most.  Only one problem.... it is not currently in production.  Something to do with the manufacturer and it won't be available until sometime in 2014.  So she prescribed synthroid.  But since there is a generic form I got that.  I am normally not opposed to taking a generic but I hate taking a generic thyroid medication.

I started taking it on April 24th.  By early May I was feeling better.  More energy.  Less depression.  Better sleep. And my ankles began to swell.

Now I have had feet swelling issues for a long time.  But they hadn't swelled all winter.  I enjoyed the fact that my feet were normal.  Why now?  And then it dawned on me.  No meds... no swelling.  Meds... swelling.  Is this a reaction to the med?  I hadn't made the connection for 7 years ... and in my defense, neither did my doctor.

I called my doctor.  She was out of town.  The on-call doctor told me to stop taking the meds until I had a chance to talk to my doctor.  I stopped on a Wednesday.  Swelling went down slowly.  By Monday my feet with almost normal size again.  This could be a med reaction.

Doctor called on Tuesday.  She said this would be an unusual reaction.  She wanted me back on the meds and watch to see what happened.  I went back on them on Wednesday (I couldn't bare to do it on Tuesday).  By Friday my feet were huge again. 

Guess I am calling the doctor tomorrow.

Mean Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...