Last night I was effectively avoiding all adult responsibilities. I was sitting in my rocking chair, watching TV, and typing on my computer. Yes, I can multi-task. I was also eating. Why wait until Friday to start the gorging?
I reached back to grab a piece of bread when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. Ladybug was already in bed. And it couldn't be her. I mean, this was to my right, and she would have had to come down the stairs that were to my left. I don't have a cat or dog or gerbil. I don't have a husband, boyfriend or significant other (despite Ladybug's recent efforts -- but that is another post). So....
I turn my head slowly and .... It was a roach about the size of a football. Fat girls can jump! I hate bugs. I hate bugs. I HATE bugs. I jumped out of the chair so fast that I have no actual memory of it. I gathered my thoughts...and my nerve. When I say that the roach is the size of a football I am, of course, exaggerating. A little. I am pretty sure that if I extended my hand, he would reach out and shake and introduce himself. In actuality he is about the size of a golf ball -- and I am not exaggerating.
I decide that I will pick up the bag that the bread is in and throw it outside. I am willing to sacrifice the bread. So I reached for the bag and the damn thing scurries out of the bag.
Lesson #1 -- roaches are fast little suckers.
I, of course, drop the bag and quickly back away from the table. He (and yes, I am just assuming it is a he -- I did not actually check anatomy) scurries under some straps I have on the table -- the straps that are to my car top carrier that I seem to have lost. I decide to kill him. I am an assassin. I go into the laundry room and look for bug spray. I must have bug spray. Nothing. I look under the sink. Nothing. I am worried at this point. What if the roach walks off while I am looking for the spray? Or, more importantly, what if he doesn't? And then I look in with the cleaning supplies. Yes, I have cleaning supplies. I own them. I try not to use them. And I find the bug spray.
I go back to the table. The thing is black. The straps are black. I think he is still hiding under them. But I am not moving the straps to find out. I am a wimpy assassin. So I point. And spray.
OH! It is not a mist. It is a water hose strength spray. And I hit him. And he turns tail and runs. Down the back of the table. Oh the sucker is not getting away. I reposition and spray. He is now on the rug and running. But I keep spraying. He is looking for a place to hide.
Lesson #2 - roaches may not be as stupid as I thought. If someone had been trying to kill me I would try to hide too.
I keep spraying. He now turns on me. He is racing toward me. I am 5'4" tall. He is about 1 inch tall. No, I did not measure him. He is running after me. He is trying to attack me. I am sure of it.
Lesson #3 -- roaches are aggressive.
I jump over him. He turns around and runs at me again. Maybe he is the assassin. And I am in trouble. But I keep spraying. He is slowing down. He is getting tired. He is dead. I hope. I get the dust pan, scoop him up, and throw him out the front door. I have decided to leave him there. I want all the other roaches to know this is the home of the roach assassin. Don't mess with me!
I look around the living room. I have sprayed the bread...the cheese... a few pictures of Ladybug... the lamp... the filing cabinet... the cedar chest... the rug... the floor near the front door... the rocking chair. Murder is messy.
Mean Mama
Random Life Events
2 months ago
Ask A how she deals with them! Thanks for the laugh! :D
ReplyDelete