Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I'm back!

Oh my!  I can't even tell you how happy I am.  I have internet! 

My vacation has not been my fault.  I tried to blog.  But my internet was would not allow it.  Mostly because it was not mine.

I arrived at my new home and then I tried to set up internet.  Problem was I didn't have internet -- so I didn't know who the providers were in the area.  But then I started my job and my supervisor asked me what she could do to help.  I told her I needed internet.  Really.  I had my priorities straight.

Actually I could get on but then I would get kicked off.  And then I would get on and I would get kicked off.

So she found me 3 possibilities.  And I perked up.  And I called.

I called the first place.  They told me they don't service my area of town.  What?  This town only has about 7500 people.  And I live in the middle of town.  What part do they service?  But the don't.  Where did I move to?

I called the second place... and the conversation went something like this....

Me: I would like to set up internet service at my home.  Do you service my area?
Idiot: Well can you get on the internet now?
Me: You mean right now?
Idiot: Yes.
Me: Well, I can but only because one of my neighbors apparently doesn't believe in securing his wireless.
Idiot: So why buy it?  Just use his.
Me: I am willing to pay for this service.  I would like to have my own internet.
Idiot:  Why pay for it if you can get it for free?
Me: I would like my own.  Do you service my area?
Idiot: I don't understand why you want to pay for something you can get for free.
Me: Thank you. (And I hung up)

And then I called the third place.  They serviced the area.  They were reasonably priced (not that it matter at this point) and they could get e set up in about 3 days. Yipppppeeeeeeeee!

But then I told my landlord.  He didn't want me using that company.  I won't go into the reasonings but I will say that I cancelled the installation -- not happily.  But at least he found me a fourth option.

So I called the 4th place.  They serviced my area.  They were reasonably priced.  But it would take them 10-15 days before installation could happen.  WAAAHHHHHHHH!

But I waited.  They mailed the modem.  I opened it this morning.  I looked at it.  Something seemed off.  And then it dawned on me.  It wasn't wireless.  What?  What it is the point of having a laptop without wireless capabilities?  And then the internet provider called me today.  They told me I was installed and I should be able to access the internet.  I asked about the modem. 

Them: No it is not a wireless modem.
Me: Um... but... I want wireless access.
Them: Ok?
Me: So can I get a modem with wireless capabilities?
Them: Oh.  No.  If you want wireless you need to go buy a router.

A what?  A router?  Buy?  Do they know where I live?  Flipping Siberia!  The nearest Best Buy is 1 hour and 16 minute drive.  The nearest Staples is over 20 minutes away.  I could buy one from Amazon.com -- but I won't have access to internet until I get one.  Where else can I find a wireless router?

Radio Shack!  And there is one in town!  No Walmart.  No Target.  But there is a Radio Shack. 

I think maybe Radio Shack is my new best friend now -- I have internet!

Mean Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...