Some still don't. I have come to realize that I will not ever win some of them over. And I will never be (because I have never been) the popular one in the office. I can accept that. I have been working hard to improve my relationships with those in the office. It amazes me how much work that is.
The office prides itself on being open and accepting. On being innovative and progressive. I find them to be egotistical and condescending as a group. It is like a mob mentality. But I have also discovered that as individuals some of them are really great people.
Of course I feel most connected to the person who is least connected to the other people in the office. And I fear that her supervisor is setting her up to be fired. And I think she is going to try to use me to accomplish it. The supervisor has asked me to be a part of the supervision this week. To go over cases that she feels the worker has messed up on. And she did mess up on them. But I also think those are learning opportunities. She doesn't need to be broken down. She needs to be built up.
I have seen this supervisor lovingly set up someone to fail. Just the other day she tried to set me up. But in reality... she is no match for me.
We were in teaming discussing new cases. I go to all team meetings (if I am in the office) but I only contribute when I have something unique to say. So I new DV case came up and they were discussing it. But I didn't contribute because they seemed on target. So she turned to me and said... Just so you know about the specifics of this case (because of course I wouldn't know)...
And that is where I cut her off. I told her I had read the intake, I had talked with the previous worker, I had talked with the current worker, I had done all the background checks, and I had some concerns but that the worker (who happened to be the one I think she is trying to figure out how to fire) was addressing this concern and I really thought we needed more time with the client before we jumped to conclusions.
She shut up.
Okay I didn't mean to turn this into a bitching session. Things are good. Mostly. I have decorated my office and it is much nicer to be in. I have stuck my nose into any case I think I should be in and I am not allowing myself to be pushed out. I have connected with the local community agencies that can assist me with this work. I have gotten involved with groups and take on new projects.
It really is getting better. I just have a long way to go still.
No comments:
Post a Comment