I know what I am about to write will piss off a bunch of people. And I understand that I am chickening out. I could post this on Facebook. But I won't. And there are very few people who know about this blog that also know it is me. So I will be a chicken here.
Nothing pisses people off like religion. And I am fed up with it. Everyone is so sure that their religion is the only right one and that everyone agrees with them.
I am an Atheist. Really. Not agnostic. No confused. Atheist. Which is the worst to be. Because it is worse to not believe in something then to not believe in whatever the other person believes.
So one of my friends posts on Facebook today.
And it made me think.
Wasn't America founded by people fleeing from religious persecution? They didn't come to America to form a pocket of their own religion. They came for religious freedom. Right?
Isn't there an Amendment that specifically separates church and state? I think there is. And yet we have constantly broken that. Even our money has "In God We Trust" printed on it. And I have been questioned how I can use money (as an Atheist) with that printed on it. Whatever. I can't win everything.
There is the argument that continually rears it's head about the Pledge of Allegiance. Some people want to remove the words "under God" from it. And that causes people to say it has always been a part and we should not remove it because of non-believers. In reality, it hasn't always been in it. It was added, I think, in the 1950's.
And finally I would just like to know... which Christian values? Catholic? Because America was up in arms in the 1960's when Kennedy ran for president -- he has been the only Catholic president. Methodist? My former's boss' daughter didn't want to go to school in CT because she had been raised Methodist and CT was full of Catholics? Baptist? Episcopal? Presbyterian? Unitarian? Sorry if I have missed any. I don't know the differences. But those who are one or the other know. Not all Christians are created equal.
I don't care if you are Christian, Muslim, Islamic, Jewish, Hindu, etc. I don't live in a religious based country. I understand that the majority of Americans are religious. I don't want to change that. Believe in whatever god you want. Go to whatever church you want. Learn your morals however you do.
Just don't tell me I have to.
Mean Mama
Random Life Events
2 months ago
love this!
ReplyDeleteAmen Sister.
ReplyDelete