Friday, November 30, 2012

Sometimes I get lucky

Now that I live on the tundra up north I needed a good set of snow tires.  I hate the idea of spending the money... but I hate the idea of driving without the more.  So I was prepared to spend about $400 for a new set of tires.  I enlisted the help of my father -- because he likes doing this kind of thing (and because I need to store my regular tires in his garage since I have no storage).

Imagine my surprise when he called me to say it was going to be in the $650-800 range for 4 winter tires.  I was not prepared to pay that.  But I needed to buy tires.  Not an option to do without.  So what does a poor do?

Daddy came through.  He calls.  Offers me his snow tires off his Subaru.  You see, I got lucky.  The Subaru died.  No revival.  So my parents bought a new car.  A bigger car.  Their snow tires won't fit the new car.  But they will fit my car. 

Only one problem.  The Subaru died last spring... with the snow tires on them.  I was wondering how they were going to get the tires back.  Apparently my dad had it sitting at the junk yard trying to sell it on craigslist... with no luck.  So now he just needed to get them for me.  And they are studded.

Oh but that is not all... He talked BJs into installing them on my car for free.  He is a member.  He had a free tire change for as long as he owned the car.  They agreed to transfer that deal to my car.  So I ended up with 4 studded snow tires installed on my car for free.  Got it done last Wednesday.

So today I woke up for a few inches of fresh snow on the ground and 0 degree weather and I was really happen to have my new snow tires.

Imagine my surprise as I am on the highway going about 55 heading to work this morning and I began to feel my car fishtail.  Fishtail?  But I have studded snow tires.  I should be fine.

And then I did everything wrong.  I tried to correct the fishtail.  Which made it worse.  Of course.  I looked around.  I was the only person on the highway.  And I was heading toward the guardrail.  And then I was heading toward the other guardrail.  And I was going way too fast (even though I had taken my foot off the gas -- and remembered not to step on the brake).  I needed to slow down.  Fast.  So I stomped on the brake, and jerked the wheel to one side. 

So I spun.  Around and around.  In one spot.  Until I stopped.  Perpendicular to the highway -- straddling both lanes.  Stalled. 

I looked around.  Cars were coming.  So I started the car, and pulled off to the shoulder.  Facing the wrong direction.  I waited until all the traffic passed (because none of them stopped) and then did a 3 point turn on the highway. 

Needless to say it was a long, sloooow drive to the office.  What normally takes 40 minutes took well over an hour.  Nerves were shot, nobody had chocolate, and I knew I still had a long drive home.  I left work early.

Mean Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...