Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Step mom

I like my step mom.  Really.  I should.  I am the one who brought her home.

My dad was living with another woman.  There was nothing wrong with her.  But she was focused on my dad.  We were a package deal so she accepted us but she didn't really get into the whole family thing.  She wanted my dad.  She didn't really want my sister and I. 

I use to hang out at my father's work.  He was a single father.  It was easy to get to his place.  And sometimes care needed to be inventive.  They had a lot of pot luck type parties at his work so I got to know the people.  I took a shine to one woman at work.  So I brought her home.  Literally.  I just thought it was fun to hang out.  I didn't realize my dad was enjoying it too.  Until the girlfriend moved out -- but not before she cut out her face from all the pictures left in the house.  Really.

My soon to be step mom moved in soon after that.  I guess I was a good match maker because they have now been married for over 25 years.  At least I did better than my dad did on his own since his first 2 marriages lasted about 18 months each. 

If I was so good at match making for him I wonder why I am still single???

Anyway, I liked her.  Like her.  She is calm and level headed.  She runs interference between me and my dad -- which is necessary sometimes.  She didn't play a "mom" role for us.  I mean she was an authority figure but we had a mom.  She was a step parent.  She was involved but my dad made the parental decisions.  Then she decided that she wanted kids of her own (hot topic language in the adoption world -- but it had nothing to do with biology and everything to do with actually getting to play the mom role).  She mellowed my dad in parenting too.  My younger brother and sister were raised very differently then my sister and I were -- I went off to college the same week my brother was born so we weren't raised in the house together (he married young). 

So I like her.  But she re-arranged my house.  She moved the dish drainer.  She moved my cupboards around.  She even turned my comforter around.  I am not sure why.  I am not sure why either.  I am sure it is not sinister but it is a little annoying.

Mean Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...