Sunday, July 31, 2011

Little Orphan Annie

I am not one of the hypersensitive moms.  I do not shelter my child from everything.  I don't worry about the underlying adoption themes in the latest Disney movie (although I am surprised at how many seem to have it).  I take the approach that it will be a conversation at some point.  Might as well open the door and let her walk in and out.  Might as well let her approach the topic at various ages.  The reality is...I can not protect her.  She will be exposed to things (school, camp, friends, etc).  I can process with her.  I can talk with her.

But when I was on vacation I was surprised.  My parents took us to see a play at the local theater.  They asked first.  I knew what the play was.  I had seen it before.  We were going to see Annie.  She had even seen the movie a couple of years ago.  I knew the story.  And yet, I found myself squirming in my seat.  I sat on one end and she sat between my dad and step mom.  I could not even watch her in my discomfort.  Had I made a mistake?

The production was brutal.  I mean, it followed the script but it felt brutal.  Nobody loves her.  Her parents are coming for her.  It's a hard knock life.  Orphans must work.  Orphanage life is so bad every child wants to run away.  The only reason someone would want an orphanage is money.  A rich person will save you.  And provide the perfect life.  Seriously what did I do?

She did crawl onto my lap during intermission and hug me.  As I listened to the woman behind me talking to her companion about growing up in an orphanage in the 1940's.  But she watched the second half of the play without a problem.  And ha never brought it up.

Yet.

Mean Mama

1 comment:

  1. i used to love this show and recently my oldest watched it. i hated the song a hard knock life. i told her i didn't want us to watch the show anymore and it's hard for her but i hope she gets it. i didn't pick up on all the other stuff that you did, i just couldn't get over the lyrics "no one cares for you a smidge when you're in an orphanage." kinda hate the messages of the show now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...