Have you ever considered the difference between a melt down and a blow out? I there a difference in your book? I have recently decided that there is a huge difference. At least in my life. And the difference is very much visual.
Watching a child "melt down" is like watching a child melt (hence the word) into a puddle of blubbering mess. I don't see this often. But I did the other day. I don't even remember what it was about any more. But one moment Ladybug was standing in front of me asking me for something and then next moment she collapsed on the floor in a puddle crying. She was upset and sad. Sad being the operative word. She was disappointed in my answer (which I am pretty sure was no -- even though I don't remember the question). Whining followed. But she remained a heap on the floor.
A "blow out" is quite the opposite. It is like watching a child go from standing next to you to having her head explode into a firework display. This is what I see a lot. One moment she is standing next to me and the next she she stomping, throwing up her arms, yelling at me, turning red, and threatening to explode. I see it a lot. Did I already say that? Today...for instance...I picked her up from her after school program. She walked out to the car. It was written all over her face. Brow furrowed. Lips tight. Eyes squinting. Yep, the fuse had already bit lit.
Mama: How was you day, Honey?
Ladybug: I got a lot of X's!
Mama: Rough day?
Ladybug: I already said yes!
Mama: What was the problem?
Ladybug: I was hungry!
Mama: Why?
Ladybug: Because I threw away my breakfast!
Mama: What? Why?
Ladybug: Because I didn't like it!
Mama: Aaaah. (Sigh)
Ladybug: I am not going to talk about this with you! We do not need to talk about everything. You can not make me talk about my bad days. (Kicks the the seat in the car. Takes of her cowgirl boot and throws it across the car. Crosses her arms in defiance. Scowls at me.)
See the difference? It is so clear to me when it is happening. I see the difference. I just wish I saw it less.
Therapy starts tomorrow. I am scared. And hopeful.
Mean Mama
Random Life Events
2 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment