Tuesday, June 21, 2011

some things are hard to admit

As I have mentioned before, I do not like mornings.  But even given that, I can't understand how this morning happened.

I got up and went to the kitchen to make breakfast for Ladybug.  I went back upstairs and hopped in the shower while she ate.  When I was almost ready (because I tend to run around in my bra and panties while getting things ready in the morning - I know this is not an image most people want to have) I went back downstairs and started getting lunches and snacks ready for the 2 of us.  As I was running around the kitchen (barefoot) Ladybug came down to help.  She walked into the kitchen and bent down to look at the floor.

My kitchen floor is a white and tan linoleum.  Nothing fancy.  She spoke to me without taking her eyes off the floor.

Ladybug: Mama, we have a bug in the kitchen.
Mama:  What is new.

Very casual and unconcerned.  Why?  Because in the the year I have been here I have battled ants, cockroaches, centipedes, and spiders.  Another day.  Another bug.  But just for fun I went to look at the bug.

I knew instantly what it was.  Maggot!  Gross.  Really.  Just gross.  I had dealt with maggots only once before.  I went with my roommate to her boyfriend's house about 20 years ago.  I didn't like him so I didn't want to go.  As I was sitting in his apartment I kept hearing a noise.  They didn't hear it.  But I followed the noise.  Into the kitchen.  And found his juicemaker filled with maggots.  Filled.  He had no idea.  I never went back to his place.

So this morning I sat staring down at this maggot on my floor and worried.  Where there was one -- there was likely more.  So I started cleaning.  And I found more.  Scooping them up with wipies.  Did you know that maggots make a popping sound when you squeeze them?

Not to completely disgust anybody but I found hundreds.  HUNDREDS.  All over the kitchen floor.  In corners.  Under chairs.  In the laundry room.  I cleaned and cleaned until I found no more.  It was puke-worthy.  And then I went off to work.

When I came home I inspected the kitchen again.  I found 4.  Only four.  Every inch of my kitchen and laundry room have been cleaned tonight.  Every nook and cranny.  I am taking a little break.  Then I am going back in to clean again.  With bleach.

I do not know where they came from but I can promise you they are not welcome and they will not be staying a minute longer.

Mean Mama

1 comment:

  1. Where are you in the Triangle? We're in Holly Springs. LOVE it here! My email is christie.quackenbush@gmail.com if you want to be in touch. I'd love to make some local friends... especially friends that understand this little world of ours!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...