Some people have been discussing sunblock for their children of African descent. Some questioned if their skin could burn. Some talked about vitamin D.
I am of German and English descent. I am white white white. I do not tan. Correction...I can not tan. Even as a kid people would ask me if I ever got sun and then I would show them my belly (which never got sun) and they would realize I am just really really white. I burn...and peel...and burn again. And even though Ladybug has dark skin, I protect hers the same way I protect mine.
Ladybug started camp last week. Being the good mama, I bought sunscreen for her. I sprayed her down in the morning. And then worried all day. She was going to be outside all day. She was going to be sweating. She was going to be swimming. On Tuesday she informed me that all the other kids brought their sunscreen with them. Great! Happy to hear. So I packed it in her backpack and off she went. But she lost it. Because she looses everything. The girl can't keep track of anything. Ever.
On Wednesday and Thursday she went off to camp with no sunscreen. Saturday she was getting ready to go to the pool with me. She was wondering around naked and I could clearly see tan lines already forming on her body. Two days of no protection and she is already tanning. This is not good.
So this weekend I went out and bought another bottle. I explained the importance of her using it. I told her I was not buying more -- although I really would have -- so she could not lose it. On Monday she came home smelling like coppertone so I knew she used it. Same for Tuesday and Wednesday. I was wondering why she smelled so strongly of coppertone so late in the day but decided not to complain. I mean, she was using it.
This morning I was packing her lunch and bag and discovered the sunscreen bottle sitting on the counter. I grabbed it to throw it in her bag. I lifted it. And stopped. I shook the can. It was empty. EMPTY! In three days she used an entire bottle of sunscreen. No wonder she always smelled like coppertone. It should have lasted weeks. Three days! She needs a little vitamin D.
Mean Mama
Random Life Events
2 months ago
hilarious! kids are so lacking is self awareness and limits.
ReplyDelete