Monday, February 6, 2012

Hair

I have been struggling with hair lately.  I know how to care for it.  I know how to style it.  But it is a lot of work.  And I spend way too much time looking through some fabulous websites of other white mama's of black babies who do a great job with hair.  I am not in their league.  At some point I might have fancied myself in their league.  I am not.  Plaint and simple.

But I must still care for her hair.  Now that she is in swimming lessons I must be extra careful about her hair. 

Last style was a style I stole from one of the fabulous websites.  It required flat rope twists.  While I can do rope twists, and I can do box braids, and I can do cornrows, I had never managed to do flat twists.  NEVER!  So I was stretching my skills.  It also required yarn extensions.  Which I had never even attempted.  After tons of research, a shopping trip, and over 6 hours of screaming and fighting, Ladybug had a new style.  She loved it.  Me?  Not so much.

After one week I discovered a problem.  She had a swimming lesson.  Apparently, yarn soaks up water.  Who knew???  Apparently not me.  Stupidly.  So I cut out that yarn extensions after that day.  But only the length.  I did not undo the style.  So the yarn actually stayed in her hair.  Through another swim lesson.  For another week.

This is the style she started with.



I took it out on Saturday night.  And I moisturized.  Lots.  Then I stuck it up in a very large bun for the night.


And I let her wear that way on Sunday.  Trying to decide what to do with her hair.

I decided... I am not good enough to do those fancy styles.  And she is not a movie star.  She is a beautiful little girl.  And her hairstyle should reflect that.  I decided to go simple.  So 2 hours of comb and braiding and beading last night and this is how she went to bed last night (and school this morning).



Luckily, although she hates knots, she doesn't yet see them as an embarrassment.

And then we finished the style this evening (another 2 hours of combing and braiding).





I think it is an age appropriate style.  And I like it a whole lot better.

Mean Mama

1 comment:

  1. I think you are DARN good at this! Awesome pics and really really great job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...