Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hana

If you are involved with Ethiopian adoptions in any way you had to have heard about Hana. I have thought about posting about this little girl but since so many other people were talking about her that I was not sure I could add anything new to it.  Have you heard about Hana?  My understanding is the CNN has finally picked up the story and will be reporting on it tonight.

Hana was a 13 year old girl found dead in the yard this past May.  She was naked.  She had lost 30 pounds.  She died of hypothermia.  How could this have happened?  I heard bits and pieces.  I read on other blogs and on yahoo groups.  And then I read this!  I warn you that it is not an easy read.  I will not repeat the details here but let the document speak for itself.

I sat at my desk at work with my chin on the floor.  Horrified.  How was it possible that any of this happened?  I don't understand.  I mean, I don't understand why anybody would adopt if this is how they were going to treat the child.  I don't understand how a parent can treat a child this way.  I don't understand how nobody noticed.  Or if they did notice, I don't understand how they could do nothing.

I find myself wishing that I could turn back the clock.  Give her a chance.  A chance to live.  How can she have been robbed of this?

One of the things mentioned by many outraged people is that she is not Hana Williams.  She was not treated as a member of the family.  She was not loved as a child of the family.  She should not be remembered as Hana Williams.  She is -- and should be known as -- Hana Alemu.  This grabbed my attention.  Sort of like hearing your name yelled in a crowd.  You automatically stop.  Ladybug's biological father's last name was Alemu.  I don't know if it is a common name or not.  What I do know is that this child should have been loved.   Should have been cared for.  Should be alive.

Mean Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...