Sunday, October 23, 2011

Phoebe in a world of Rachels

Sometimes we are struck with moments of clarity.  I had one today...at the park...when I looked up from my trashy romance book to catch a glimpse of Ladybug.

It reminded me of an episode of Friends (does that date me?).  In this episode Rachel and Phoebe agree to meet in the park for a run.  Rachel shows up in the latest jogging outfit.  She stretches.  She looks cute.  She jogs like a typical adult.  And then Phoebe comes running up.  Legs flailing.  Arms flailing.  She might even have been giggling.  Rachel looks thoroughly embarrassed by Phoebe.  Phoebe runs with abandon.  Finally Rachel confronts her but in the end Phoebe says the way she runs is just more fun.

My child is a Phoebe.  As I watched her swing I realized this.  She had her eyes closed so that the motion of the swing was more intense.  As she reached the top going forward she would yell out "YIPEE!"  As she reached the top going backward she would yell out "WEEE!"  And in between she would sing a line of a song I couldn't quit hear.  Her hair (which was taken out of twists last night but no new style was put in) was flying up and then falling around her face with every swing.

I have a Phoebe.

Mean Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...