I can't remember if I have blogged about any of this and I am too lazy to go looking right now. So, you will get the full story here.
If you have been reading this blog then you know that I am aware that Ladybug has behavioral issues. And I know she pretty much hates school. But I also know that she is smart. Maybe too smart in some ways. I know she is not academically inclined but I never actually worried about her ability to learn in school.
So imagine my surprise when I received a note home a few weeks ago saying that Ladybug was in danger of falling behind at school in reading so much that she actually qualifies for Title I assistance. She is behind? Because she was one of 3 kids in her Kindergarten class of 27 kids who knew how to read at the end of last year. And somehow she is so far behind in the beginning of 1st grade that she qualifies for federally funded assistance? Well, how did that happen?
I didn't buy it. I mean, I know she fakes stupidity just to see me get frustrated. So I had a conversation with her teacher. She told me Ladybug doesn't read in class. Doesn't and can't are 2 different things. But at the end of the conversation we agree that she will enter the title I class -- her because she believes she needs the assistance, me because I believe the smaller class might improve her behavioral issues in school.
I give my permission. They send home a contract. Which makes me giggle. I must promise to make her do her homework every night. I must promise to read to her. I must promise to read myself. And a few other things that will help her learn to read. They did not ask me to promise anything that is not already common in our house. Ladybug starts the classes. She is in the special class for 30 minutes a day 5 times a week. After about 3 weeks I go to my first educational meeting. Where they explain title I. Apparently I have to go to 4 in the year. But apparently not all the parents show up. I was one of 11 parents there. 11! I am positive there are many many many more title I kids then 11 in her school.
At the end of this title I meeting I pull the reading teacher aside. I tell her that I believe Ladybug is faking it. I think she knows more then she lets people know. And I warn her not to let Ladybug manipulate her. This title I teacher has about 30 years experience in working with title I and other specialized teaching. She seems savvy.
On Wednesday I had my first parent/teacher conference. I asked that the title I teacher be invited too. While waiting for the meeting to start I had some time to talk with the teacher again. I asked why she tested so well at the end of Kindergarten and why she tested so poorly at the beginning of 1st grade. The answer is simple. Last year the teachers did the individual assessments. This year they wanted a more objective view so the kids are tested by a computer program. Hmmmm? She she went from top in her class to bottom?
Then during the parent teacher conference the title I teacher revealed one more thing. Despite the fact that she is not suppose to do so, after my claim that perhaps Ladybug knows more than she lets on, the teacher did her own assessment. And the results...subjective...is that Ladybug is actually reading at a 2nd grade level.
Yeah, my child is so far behind in her reading that I have received letters saying that she is in danger of failing 1st grade in June. And yet she is reading at a level higher than her grade level. Because a computer says so. Problem is...once you are in title I, you are locked in for the year. As the teacher said, "It practically takes an act of god to get a child out of title I in the middle of the school year." Federal funding.
Mean Mama
Random Life Events
2 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment