Sometimes I save a post with just a title so that I can remember to go back and write the post later. And sometimes I sit and look at the title for a while before I remember what I wanted to talk about. This one took about a week.
In our recent trip (for job hunting purposes -- have I mentioned that I got the job?????) we ran into some difficulties. Ladybug is not a delicate, careful time of kid. She is a barrel through it like a bull type of kid. I know this. So I usually can deal with it. On one of the days we were there I had the interview. My friend decided to take her daughter out of school for the day and travel around the state with Ladybug and I. We went to one town (about 3 hours away) for the interview. Then we went to the town we will moving to (another 1.5 hour drive) to see the town. I thought it might be nice to see the town before moving there. Then we drove back to my friend's house (about 3.5 hours). That was a lot of driving. The girls did great. They had iPod/MP3 players and they each had a portable DVD player. There was very little fighting.
However by the end of the trip Ladybug was complaining that none of the movies were working. I wasn't actually worried about it. I know my child. Chances are there was nothing wrong with the DVD player. Chances are Ladybug has licked and touched and smudged the DVDs. Yes, I said "lick." A good cleaning would probably make everything all better for drive home. When we arrived back to my friend's home I cleaned all the DVDs and tried each one in the portable DVD player. All worked. They were gross.
So imagine my surprise when 36 hours later none of the DVDs would work... again. Here is how that happened.
We had left early in the morning. We stopped to grab breakfast and gas. Then we got on the road. About 15 minutes into the drive (yes 15 minutes!) I hear her in the back seat switching DVD after DVD after DVD.
Mama: What are you doing? Just pick a movie and watch it.
Ladybug: None of the movies are working.
Mama: How is that possible?
Ladybug: I don't know.
Mama: I just checked all those movies the other day. They all worked. What did you do to it?
Ladybug: Nothing!
Mama: Is it plugged in?
Ladybug: Yes.
Mama: Is it turned on?
Ladybug: Yes.
Mama: Is there a movie in it? (covering all the bases)
Ladybug:: Yes!
Mama: Okay unplug it and turn it off.
Ladybug: Okay. (I should have been worried that she was so compliant)
Mama: Okay now plug it back in and turn it on.
Ladybug: Okay.
Mama: Is it working?
Ladybug: No.
Mama: Well why not? (Like she has an answer?) It should be working. What did you do to it?
Ladybug: Nothing!
So I stop. Because we are getting no where with this conversation. I reach my hand back so she can hand it to me. She tosses it to me. It bounces off my hand and fall to the floor. I am sure that didn't help.
She picks it up and hands it to me.
And hot chocolate pours out of it!
Now it all makes sense.
It was a long ride home. And now that it is trashed, we have a long trip ahead of us in 2 weeks when we go back up to look for a place to live. And a long moving trip when we drive the truck up in about a month.
Mean Mama
Random Life Events
2 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment