Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Attachment Disorder

One of my depressive issues lately is that I am lost about Ladybug.  Lots of behaviors.  No help.  No hope.  Feel free to read back through posts to get an idea.

I love her.  Really.  I do.  I can't image life without her.  But that does not mean that living with her is easy.  She is angry.  Generally speaking.  She finds the negative in everything.  She fights me on everything.  She hates everything.  She is unhappy.  And she enjoys making everyone around her unhappy.  She pushes and pushes and pushes.  Then I explode.  And she smiles.  She is so proud of herself when she see me lose it.  She saps my energy.  She sees me struggle.  And she finds pleasure with it. 

I wonder what is going on.  Is she testing?  Is she mad about something?  Is she bipolar?  What is going on?

A friend of mine suggested that perhaps she has an attachment disorder.  I connected with a friend who is raising a child with an attachment disorder (not RAD).  Her child is officially diagnosed.  I described Ladybug.  And she says Ladybug sounds just like her child. 

So, of course, I have diagnosed her.  I know I am not allowed to.  And what I know about attachment disorders could fit on the head of a pen.  I contacted her teacher in order to find contact information for the school counselor.  She finally connected me with the counselor.  And I have spent the last week just trying to schedule an appointment.  Still none is scheduled.  I know she is not a counselor I can use for this issue.  But she is a counselor for kids... in a local school.  I just want her resources.  Help me out here.  I mean my child is beating up other kids at school -- on a regular basis.  Please take my concerns seriously.

I don't care WHAT the issue is.  Just tell me how to make it better.  Tell me how to like my child -- I already love her.  Tell me how to make peace in my house, my life.  Put me on the right path.  I am asking for help and I can't get it.

But I am feeling a little more hopeful today then I was last week.  Maybe I will be able to figure this out. 

Mean Mama (rambling)

2 comments:

  1. Obviously you're doing the right thing by finding a counselor and a more concrete diagnosis (if, of course, there is one), but in the meantime you should check out http://www.welcometomybrain.net/ Christine is a fellow blogger who writes primarily about RAD, as one of her adopted daughters is dealing with it. She also has a youtube channel where she demonstrates some techniques that you might wanna test out (I imagine they're just as effective on kids without RAD, and definitely can't hurt either way). I found it when one of my Foster Sons was showing signs of RAD.

    I'm sorry it's tough. Just know that loving her is what's important, and hell, we don't like ANYONE all the time! Just remember that even when you're frustrated you're a good Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the first person to suggest this blog. I guess I need to put it on my blog list and do some serious reading. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...