I am nervous. And hopeful. And scared out of my mind.
Ladybug met with the psychiatrist today. And for the most part things went well. She showed her true self. And the psychiatrist (who Ladybug calls Dr. Swiper - after Dora - because she can't pronounce her last name) says that Ladybug does not need meds at this time. She said she wouldn't rule it out in the future just yet but she would not take that approach first. It makes me happy that she is not rushing to medicate my child. That is a good thing. She says Ladybug is smart -- maybe too smart. She says Ladybug has attachment issues but at the same time shows real signs of wanting to fully attach. She says that Ladybug is emotional and might have anger/rage issues. She says that Ladybug is very open to therapy and would likely benefit from it quickly -- more so then most kids she sees. So it is back to therapy on Monday with Miss Kitty (okay not her real name but I will remember it). Despite the fact that I am spending a boat load of money I do not have, I am happy with my choices around this so far.
That was the hopeful part.
The nervous part is ... I have a job interview in the morning. I hate job interviews. I hate selling myself. I hate it. Look, here is the deal. I am good. I can do the job or I wouldn't have applied. And you will not regret hiring me. And if I suck, I promise to quit. 1 minute. I could do that kind of job interview. But alas I am sure that is not how it will go. It will be a phone interview. 9:30am. Luckily the bosses are out of town so I can do this without their knowledge on short notice. My understanding is there will be more than one person on the other end of the phone -- no pressure there. It would be a rather significant pay cut for me. And since money is already tight I have to seriously consider if I can handle it financially. One of the options I am considering (and I am open to any random stranger's opinion on this) is cashing in my IRA, paying off my credit cards, paying a large chunk on my car loan and then refinancing the rest of it, and then maybe I can afford the lower salary. Maybe. Do I really want to start fresh with saving for retirement at age 40 + something? I need to do more research on things like cost of living in that area (rent, heat, etc). I need to figure out summer camps and after school.
All this makes my heart beat faster than it should.
Mean Mama
Random Life Events
2 months ago
Totally random stranger option here- Maybe I missed something (because I've not been reading your blog terribly long), but why cash in your retirement and move for a job which pays less? I totally get moving for a job that pays more or a job that would pay at the same rate if where you're moving the cost of living is lower. Absent that, I'm not sure why the move you're describing is advisable. Also, cashing in an IRA seems like something to save for an emergency. You never know when one of those will crop up.
ReplyDeleteJune, typically speaking I would absolutely agree with you. The move would not make sense financially to anybody looking at it -- even me. But here is the background... that only lets you know that the move is completely emotional. I moved here to be close to my mom...moving a 1.5 day drive away from my dad, friends and support system. Then 1 year ago my mom moved closer to where I use to live (it was a plan we both agreed on but she has a career that makes her far more employable then me). I don't want to live here anymore. I want to be someplace where I can live near my family, friends and support. If I got this job I would be 3 hours from my mom, about 6 hours from my dad, about 3 hours from a lot of my friends, and in the same town as my best friend from college. This would allow Ladybug to have access to the people who are important in her life more often. So while I do agree with you that it just doesn't make any sense, staying here makes me depressed. I do understand it is a completely emotional decision. But maybe I need to consider the option of just staying put.
ReplyDeleteI do appreciate your "random stranger option" input -- they keep me on my toes. Thanks.